Pages

Monday 18 November 2013

Definition of Happiness



I have heard a lot of people who are asked what kind of life or relationship they want; a majority of people say, “I want a happy life” and “I just want to be in a happy relationship with my boyfriend/girlfriend.” My history teacher once confronted us about this statement. He said, “So let’s say you reached that goal of a happy future,” he paused for the dramatic effect.

“Then what?”


Saying that I was surprised would be an understatement. I have always heard and read the sentence “I just want to be happy.” And my “ever so wise” history teacher changed my perspective of happiness with such a simple interrogative sentence. He was right though, I have to admit. Just saying you want be happy in life is not good enough. You’re being a wimp and wasting your life and breathe by saying it.

 A lot of people want to be happy, but happiness is not a goal. Happiness is not something you can set as a goal. You cannot pray for happiness. Happiness can’t be your finish line in life. Happiness is not tangible; well, of course not, it is an emotion. But, you see, happiness is a result.


 I honestly believe that happiness is what you make of it. You have to do something in order to obtain that happiness. Doing something that you enjoy is what happiness is. Listen to your favorite song on repeat all Saturday afternoon. Go outside and kick a soccer ball or play ball at the court. If you enjoy reading, download the novel you cannot wait to be shipped here and read until you finish the last sentence. If you enjoy hanging out with your friends – and your friends enjoy hanging out with you – call them up right now and say you’re heading over there to spend the night. If dancing in the dark with the bass blaring is what satisfies your heart, then put on your tight mini dress or adorn yourself you’re your favorite shirt and dance the night away.

I’ll admit, I am an optimistic person. When the giants of Sadness, Depression, and Anxiety come alone and step on my back and break my spine, I fall apart. I do not like sadness or pessimism; sadness is a bacteria that my immune system has a hard time removing from my system. I rely on optimism. I breathe happy things. I always want to be happy! One time my mom bought me a pack of sticky notes for no apparent reason, but my reaction to her small gift surprised her. I was flipping through the yellow paper and thanked her multiple times. She said, “Doesn’t take much to make you happy, huh.” I guess it really doesn’t take a lot to please me. Objects shaped like hearts, good morning messages from the boyfriend, 100% charged electronics, and pomegranate vitamin water make me happy. I’m happy at the end of the day when I volunteer to do cleanups on the island. I feel ecstatic when Savannah and I do a flawless duo performance in NFL. Staying up late until 4 in the morning with my two best friends and peering through gritty eyes and sipping flat soda is what I live for.

Happiness is undefinable. The difficulty of defining happiness is as easy as defining life and beauty and death. Everyone has their own definition of happiness. Mine is what you do that makes your heart race and your mouth smiling from ear to ear and what makes you sigh with relief and nod your head to the beat. I have weird, simple things that make me happy; I enjoy things that you would find very boring. But I am me and you are you. 

What is that makes you happy though?

No comments:

Post a Comment