Pages

Sunday 24 November 2013

Living in one city or Constantly Travelling?

It is better to live in one city or town than to move from one place to another. Do you agree or disagree. Do you agree or disagree?


I have lived in one “city”/”town” since birth. I have never moved to a different house. I've been in the same village on Saipan all my life. I have never lived in a different home for a year, only for a few weeks. I do not know what it is like to continue moving from one place to another. I wish I did know. However, I would prefer (hence, I agree with) living in one town instead.

I believe I’m a homebody. I like staying in the comfort of my own home. It’s not like I don’t like going out and hanging out with people, playing volleyball or soccer with a couple of friends, swimming in the beach or at the water park, or visiting a library or the mall or something. I love doing those things. Perhaps if I was in a new area I would do all those things to get myself familiar with the place. But honestly, I like knowing that I could go to a home that is not going anywhere. A home that has its own definite position. Whether it be a closet of an apartment or a glorious mansion. I’d rather be in one home.

One time my mom suggested moving to Hawaii during my middle school years. One thing for sure, I was nervous about the idea. The last time I had been to Hawaii was when I was one year old. I also didn’t know anyone personally in Hawaii. I was afraid I wouldn’t make any friends; I was also afraid of losing the close friends I had already for years. My mom enjoyed the thought though; I could tell. But to my gladness, we didn’t move to Hawaii. My grandfather needed her here on Saipan to run the boating business, and my mom couldn’t abandon that. I always thought about what my life would’ve been like if we did pursue that move. Would I actually have friends? Would I be happier in Hawaii? How would my sister react to moving? Would my dad still be with us?


I guess you can say that I have a fear of moving to places I am not familiar with. I’d rather stay in the place I have been since birth. (Such a conservative perspective, right?) But there will come a time that I will leave Saipan. I will leave the two story home I have memorized so well. I will miss the island I have come to love. But I honestly believe that when you stay in a place for so long, you begin to become numb to the beauty that already surrounds you. You’ll want to move from where you have been for so long.


I prefer to stay in a town than rather travel constantly. I’d rather settle down completely rather than be indecisive about the roof that covers my head. Sadly there will be a time I will pack up my bags and move. To another place to settle down again.



No comments:

Post a Comment