Pages

Thursday 12 September 2013

Should Saipan International School allow cell phone usage during school?

I'm caught in between agreeing and disagreeing with the restrictions and allowance of cellphones in our school. I am perfectly fine with the school's restriction of cellphones, for I have been to schools that were much stricter with electronics than this school is. However, I don't want to be restricted from my electronic device.


I noticed that this school is just as serious with education and certain rules as any other school. I've grown up with knowing that phones, iPods, headphones, and even laptops shouldn't be on or even out in plain sight during school. It'll be taken away in an instant. I was literally in fear of being caught while using my phone to call in the restrooms at my last two schools. One reason for the restriction of phone usage from 7:30 AM to 2:45 PM is to not distract the teacher, fellow classmates, and yourself during school. There's time for school, and there's time for play. I see fourth grade kids playing on their iPad during break, and my eyebrow is raised in surprise, for if I had an iPad out at CCA or MBA, it'll be the teacher's iPad in two seconds. Let's say I'm 75% for the restriction. I'm just so used to it.

Yet the other 25% is bugging me about it because I don't like being restricted with something as dear to me as my phone. (And iPod. I don't have an expensive phone like a Samsung SII or III or Galaxy Note or whatever. I have an expensive iPod. Read that again. iPod. Not an iPhone. I carry around a normal flip phone and an iPod at all times.) Yet if I had one of the newest Samsungs or 5s, I'd want to have it with me since my social life is inside a 4x6 electronic device. Sometimes I want to use the dictionary.com app in my iPod during AR, or text my mom to bring the homework I forgot on my desk at home during class. The first point would probably be acceptable, but the second one will get the you-should-be-ready-for-every-class card from the teacher.

But still! Teachers don't trust us because they're smart. They know what we'll do if we were allowed full-time usage of phones. And we (including myself) are stupid for doing non-academic activities on our electronics. But hey, that's the cool part, because we become pros (or just utter failures) in the art of sneakiness. But that's not a good reason for having cellphones.

There should always be a restriction on cellphones. The main reason I think we should have cellphone (and electronic devices) usage is because we want them with us anyway. We are susceptible to many distractions and social media apps, and we want to use them. So I guess SIS should allow cellphones, but to a strict extent.

i want onnneeee<3

No comments:

Post a Comment