Pages

Thursday 26 September 2013

What Do I Want Written on My Tombstone?

I have honestly never thought about what should be written as my epitaph. I believe I lock the thought of death behind a tight door of other forbidden thoughts in my mind. It's not like I fear death. I do not fear death at all. I know where I'm going afterwards. It's just a certain thought I put side, such as college or the details of my wedding.

I researched epitaphs of famous people, and I was utterly amazed by the creativity of these deceased legends. This past summer vacation I visited my grandparents in Bedford, Massachusetts. Beautiful town. I do not remember what town it was that held the cemetery of certain authors. How I regret not begging them to turn into the cemetery parking lot to visit these graves to look at their epitaphs. My grandfather said people visit these graves and leave notes near their area to be read by the deceased author. 

(It was called Sleepy Hollow Cemetery! Ralph Waldo Emerson and Nathaniel Hawthorne were buried there. Blessed men.)

The following epitaphs are one of my favorites. I hope to think of ones that are insightful as theirs.

Called back. - Emily Dickinson (Hers made me smile. I enjoy simple ones. I respect her choice of words.)

Free at last! Free at last! Thank God Almighty I'm free at last! - Martin Luther King, Jr. 

She lived, travelled, blessed, [loved], adventured... and she wasn't sorry. - I give you full credit for this because I found your words on rebellesociety.com, Andrea Balt. 

The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man who lives fully is prepared to die at any time. - Mark Twain (this isn't his epitaph, which is also a last piece of his beauty, but a quote of his. I agree with his words.)

Some people don’t have tombstones. My mom’s real father has a headstone instead. He doesn’t have his last words or the motto of his life on an epitaph written underneath his date of birth and death. Instead, his name is known to almost every adult on this island. He lived a productive life. He was a philanthropist and respected businessman. His contribution to the island of Saipan is his epitaph. I want my epitaph to be simple though. I’m no life changer. It doesn’t have to be fancy either. I don’t want it to be a Bible verse. Something as simple and deep as “called back” will stop a passerby and make them nod his head or smile with sheer pity.

I do not want to copy Ms. Dickinson. However, I’m so intrigued by it. Perhaps I’ll think of something similar to the Samuel Clemens quote. One should not fear life but embrace it. I do hope that when I die, I could look in the eyes of Death and say I’m ready. He could hold my soul in his arms, and we’ll reminisce through my past together. I wonder if Death would cry or laugh at the sight of my past events.

I’ll think of one soon! Perhaps when I’m on my death bed or when I’m trying to sleep on my bed in my dorm room. I want to use my own words because it is my life and death.

Well.


Maybe I’d write: I lived my life. Now I’m going back. 

No comments:

Post a Comment