Pages

Tuesday 22 October 2013

Should SIS have uniforms or not?


I am against the thought of SIS having uniforms - I do hope you agree - for understandable reasons. This school is not religious at all, and the uniform will not match the "style" and philosophy of this school. I have been to two religious school that required a strict uniform and dress code, and through my experience I am positive that this school will not match with a uniform.

The purpose of uniforms in religious schools, in my opinion, are to unite the students and appear organized and professional, to teach students to wear appropriate attire, and to keep students from comparing each other's appearances with their clothes. (There are other reasons; I do wished I'd be informed.) The uniforms I have worn had been knee to shin-length skirts, collared blouses, and even a vest. No cleavage was to ever be shown. Arms were to be covered at a certain length. If any skirt came above the knee (mostly if you got caught with a high skirt), you'll need to pull it down to the length it should be if you rolled it at the waist or you must get a new skirt. The clothing you wore to PE had to have no words, and your shorts must come to the knee. Outrageous, right! Now, I've been following those rules for 11 years (k-5 until sophomore year), and it has become my habit to dress conservatively. I have nothing against it, although I become terribly irritable when the sun shone too bright. 




I admit it; I was afraid to coming to a private school without uniforms. What would I wear everyday?! Would I have enough clothes?? What do normal people wear on the first day of school?? But after a while, I'm used to this school's lack of uniforms. I also noticed that this school shouldn't have uniforms. Honestly, the people here are to unique to have uniforms. So, yeah, what makes them so unique? I don't know exactly, but imagining these people wearing uniforms everyday will be depressing. Yes, depressing! The students here do not like the idea of uniforms, and enforcing such a decree will bring much sadness, despair, and a lot of pouting.

Also, uniforms are expensive! This school's tuition is high enough already, but including another fee on uniforms will be another burden on parents who pay twice the amount for two children. Unhappiness will be wrought throughout the student body, and unhappiness will be formed by the parents because their children are unhappy and because their wallets will be lighter. It is a lose-lose situation.

I have nothing against uniforms, but I'm actually glad I don't have to wear uniforms to school everyday. I'm ever so comfortable by wearing jeans and an over-sized jacket to school on A days and casual PE clothes on B days. I do love skirts, but I can wear skirts that are my preferred length and desired color on any desired day. No uniforms is a luxury!

I do wish this school had a limited dress code. Some things are not to be worn to school. I do not care what you wear, but there are things to be worn to different locations.


SIS should not have uniforms, but a stricter dress code. :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment