Pages

Tuesday 22 October 2013

What are things that I would teach and not teach my children? How would my children do differently?

Like any other proud child, I believe my mom is the best example of a parent. Her ways of raising her three beautifully luscious black haired children – my brother, sister, and I – have resulted in beautiful hearted people, growing to be respectable Saipan and American citizens. Okay, we are not perfect results of my mother's parenting, but my mom did do a pretty darn good job raising us! I pray so hard that I'd be able to raise my future child/children in the same manner as my mom had. I would also fix the flaws of my mother's parenting; I will, oh so, hopefully improve her process, because my mom did have a few imperfections.

(Dad is out of the picture. He's off where he actually wants to be.)

First and foremost, I'd raise my child through a Christian perspective. I'd teach him really young about certain stories in the Bible, verses to memorize by heart, and prayers to repeat before you sleep and eat. I would not express any profanity in front of my child, neither should my husband. I'll teach them proper table etiquette. I will want them to learn how to either dance, play an instrument or sport, sing, draw, paint, etc. because a skill like that is necessary. I want them to also develop a love for reading books! Reading is most important!

I want them to talk to me or their father bout anything: their school problems, relationship problems, spiritual problems, etc. I want to create a friendship type relationship of insulting (okay, not like super insulting but like “oh, you butthead” kind of joke) and inside jokes, but I will turn on “mother mode” and be loving and caring when the time is needed. I will allow my son to have a girlfriend, but he must introduce her to me and his father after the second date! Yeah, second date!  I will refrain from raising my voice against them, for it had resulted in a limited relationship with my mom. I will only raise my voice when needed (over loud noise or being intentionally ignored). I am not going to be a overly strict nun-like mother, but, hey, I'll be stern to an extent. By showing this type of attitude, I hope my children will learn to create a friendship-like parenthood for my grandchildren!

I will not teach my child about general immoral things until he's like 11. Somewhere around that age. I do hope that he would not know what they are until he is that age. I do hope he would ask me questions about anything he did not understand. If I ever say, "I'll tell you when you're older," I'd better right down that question and get back to him when he is appropriately older!

This is a preview of my parenting style. I'll hope to become a parent someday. I love love love children. Having a child of my own will be a dream come true. I do hope that my child will be raised in the same loving and maturing style as I was too! I better learn from my mother quick!



No comments:

Post a Comment