Pages

Monday 28 October 2013

Big School or Small School?

I have never had the experience of attending a big school. The private schools on this island are not that large in campus size, and I've only been to relatively small private schools. My last school – Marianas Baptist Academy – was pretty much one to two acres, including the basketball/volleyball court! It would've taken less than a minute to get to my next class. I am a student of small schools. 





However, SIS is a medium sized school actually – definitely not small, but long in length to make you semi-tired of walking on the sidewalk to the next building. Its size makes a big difference to my schedule; you have to strategically plan out when and where to walk because you can easily waste time in taking the long way. Need to go the restroom? You have to consider which one is closer to use. Need to go to your locker, which is in the back of the high school building, and you are in the second floor of the middle school building for chemistry and only have about two minutes before the teacher locks you out of class? You pray before you sprint or pray that you don't need to use your chem book in class. I honestly like SIS's size. Walking is good for you; you wake up a bit before going to class, and we have the opportunity of walking outside in the fresh air, which I highly admire; you lose a handful of calories also – bonus!


I believe small schools are better, for they result in closer relationships between the teachers and students and the headmaster/principal.  Also the students will be more acquainted with other students. Just like in a small town is as a small school, you know everyone. In a bigger school, however, there are a lot more faces to memorize and acquaint and watch out for. In a bigger school, there are larger halls that cram in hurrying students who would not care about you or your belongs. Bigger schools have a greater responsibility on their students and might possibly have stricter rules than a smaller school.Your relations with people is also lower. The following picture holds statistic about smaller schools versus big schools. 










Having been to small schools for a majority of my educative years, I am a fan of small schools. When I go to college, I will be highly overwhelmed than when I was shopping at a Ross or WallMart. I mean, I'll be living at college; there will be people that do no and might never know me, or even Saipan for that matter; I will have a hard time walking to all my classes and then finally my dorm - but more calories burned! I will have a variety of friends of different race and personality - another bonus. There are some disadvantages to both school sizes, and I'm excited to experience a big school. I imagine feeling more "grown up" and responsible than at a small school. 

No comments:

Post a Comment