Pages

Thursday 22 August 2013

Knowledge and Experience vs. Asking for Advice

For journalism class, the following statement was given as our topic: "It is better to use your knowledge and experience to solve problems than ask other people for advice." I've pondered for a minute whether I agree or disagree with the statement. I personally believe that applying the knowledge that you have acquired through your studies will benefit you in the long run rather than asking people for their opinion and wise words. If you made a mistake, you will - and should - learn from it. With that you'll be able to efficiently solve your other problems.

"Take responsibility for yourself," says my mom after I make a stupid mistake. I am honestly a dependent person (whether it is homework or just having someone right next to me and talking so I can listen to them). I feel as if I cling to people too much. I really do not want to be a burden to friends, teachers, and definitely not my parents. Being at a new school without my two best friends who I love in the whole darn world is a big step for me. This is my time to experience independence.



Without Masami and Savannah, I'm on my own. You have no idea how alone I feel when I'm surrounded by people 99.9% of the time. Of course, I am very grateful for the girls I hang around with. Everyone is outgoing and hilarious! But through my eyes, nothing is the same. This is something I have to overcome; this sixteen year old grunge blogger needs to pass Independence 101.

Going back to the topic of experience versus advice, I also encourage people to ask for advice when you are in need of help. In personal situations, this is my last resort. If you have really no idea what the question chem homework means or if you feel like exploding in frustration because your father does not understand you, then ask for help (or advice). Consider help from those who understand the homework or have experienced the situation as you. Your problems may be unique in your world, but there are a lot of other people who have walked through the same door as you.

So yes, I prefer knowledge and experience, but if you like asking people advice and questions and that is how you truly learn, I support your choice. But you never experience life at its fullest unless you get out of your comfort zone. Right now, nearly ten hours a day (volleyball practices included) and five days a week I'm pushing myself out of my zone little by little. Some nights I look back with teary eyes, back pedal to my zone, and take a breather. Some nights I force myself to look forward and push myself to go forward. I believe God is testing me. And every night before I close my eyes I look up and say to Him, " I think I'm ready."

No comments:

Post a Comment